SABUDANA KHICHADI | SAGO PILAF | HOW TO MAKE SABUDANA KHICHIDI FOR VRAT | HOW TO MAKE TAPIOCA PEARL PILAF
Sabudana khichdi – mainly eaten during Ekadasi, Shivratri or Navratri fasts.
It is also the best snacking option with a cuppa tea in the evening or for breakfast. Its a popular comfort food of India, best served with some yogurt, chutney or just tea.
I am sure some of you can relate when i say, all i could make is mushy and sticky sabudana khichdi and also there was a time where i finally gave up. And this failure was in my mind for a long time.
But finally I’ve nailed the procedure of making perfect Sabudana khichadi, yaaay !!
I’ve tried to pen down almost all the tips and tricks to make a perfect dish. Hope this helps you.
Do let me know how it turns out to be.
1 cup – Sago pearls or sabudana
1/2 cup – Roasted and crushed peanuts 1/2 tsp – Sugar
2 tbsp – Ghee
2 – Green chillies
2 sprig – Curry leaves
1/2 tsp – Grated ginger
1 – Medium potato (boiled and chopped)
1 tbsp – Lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Wash Sabudana in running water for a couple of times and soak them in 1/2 cup water overnight. Do not add more water.
- Next day you will see that the sabudana has soaked all the water, are all fluffy and not sticky.
- Spread them on a clean kitchen towel and keep aside.
- After about half an hour, in a bowl, add roasted and crushed peanuts, salt, lemon juice and sugar. Mix lightly and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a wide pan. Add green chillies slit, curry leaves and grated ginger. Mix well.
- Add the chopped potato. Mix well.
- Now add the sabudana mixture to the pan and toss well so as to mix up everything evenly. Mix for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and crushed peanuts. Serve hot.
- Do not add too much of water to soak the pearls. The water level should be till the surface or even a bit less.The Saboodana will rise automatically donâ€™t worry.
- Once the sabudana is soft, take a clean kitchen napkin or a cloth and spread the soaked sabudana on it so as to remove excess water.
- Do not cover and cook else the sabudana will come out sticky.
- Soak the sabudana in water with a spoon of sugar and it turns translucent.
Hope you liked my recipe.
Do drop in your feedbacks and suggestions in the comment section below.
Do share your pictures of the recipe tried from the website and Do not forget to tag us.
Reach us at any of our social media handles –
Also, subscribe to the website to receive the recipes in your mailbox.
Thank you so much for visiting us.